Sunday, July 24, 2016

Event 1: LACMA

       In this summer, I went to the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, LACMA. It was the first time I ever visited there and I had a great time appreciating the art works and immersing in the atmosphere of the museum. 




       I was especially attracted to one of the sculpture called "Metropolis II" by Chris Burden. I think this modern art work is an miniature envision of a future city of the artist. From the busy traffic and numerous skyscrapers, I can tell it is a highly developed and prosperous city. The structure of the city is unlike the common "metropolis" in our real world. Instead, the city makes great used of the three dimensional space. This reminded me of the materials we went through in week 1. The artist integrated math concepts into his design of a city, which added a sense of depth to both the appearance of the sculpture and the concept of "metropolis." 





       Many styles of architecture can be found on the miniature buildings in the sculpture. It brings the audience to attention that technology is linking the world and making it smaller. Although the city is expanding, but the distance of people is getting closer in the "Metropolis II." I also notice some details in the sculpture. For example, the gears and belts which form the tilted highway remind me of the assembly line in the factory. In the course, we learnt about how Ford developed the cars' production process and pioneered the mass production. Actually, the modern world is greatly benefitted and advanced by mass production. I think this detail also acknowledges the important role of robotics in the course of social development.





       There are many other art works in LACMA that stem from our daily life and the nature. For example, the work about lights and colors that looks like a huge commercial barcode to me, and the wall of photographs of trees with sculptures and lights made of steel "hidden" in the various tree... To me, these express the great balance between the artistic and the real world. I recommend going to LACMA and try to interpret the art works in your own ways.











No comments:

Post a Comment